Steamed Mushroom Buns
A modern take on a traditional yum cha favourite. These fluffy steamed buns have the delicious spicy flavours and hints of ginger just like the original but are served up in scrumptious bao buns with crunchy peanuts and hoisin sauce. They might take a bit of time to prepare, but these bundles of joy are well worth the effort.
- 4 King Oyster Mushrooms, sliced in thick strips
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 scallions, halved
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ¼ cup sliced ginger
- 1 tbsp Olive Grove lite table spread
Spicy Carrot Slaw
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced using mandoline
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tbs Olive Grove lite table spread
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 12 Bao Buns (can be found in the freezer section of good Asian store)
- Sriracha sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- ½ cup crushed roasted peanuts
- fresh coriander, chopped
- chili pepper, sliced (optional)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of Olive Grove lite table spread in a heavy-bottomed pan on high heat.
- Add mushroom strips and sear on both sides until brown. Then, add all the remaining ingredients to the mushroom.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 – 45 minutes until tender.
Spicy Carrot Slaw:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except oil and set aside.
- In a small pot, heat 3 tablespoons of Olive Grove Lite Spread until it starts to smoke and add to the bowl.
- Mix everything to combine.
- Steam the buns according to the packaging instructions and stuff the mushrooms inside the buns. Add spicy carrot slaw, sprinkle with crushed peanuts, chopped coriander and slices of chili pepper.
- Add a touch of Sriracha and Hoisin sauce to taste.
Vegetarian Hokkien MeeIn Singapore, it’s so easy to get a delicious plate of Hokkien Mee without venturing too far from your local neighbourhood. However, if you’re someone who watches out for hidden nasties in your food, your favourite noodle dishes can sometimes...
Spicy Curry Noodles with Chicken and VegetablesIn less than 20 minutes, you can re-create a family favourite that’s healthier than most curry noodles while still staying true to that rich, fragrant and spicy taste we all know and...
Scallion Pancakes with Chilli Dipping SaucePreparation15 minutesCook20 minutesServes4 pancakes at 27cm diameterIngredients 2 cups of all-purpose flour (after sieving) 420-440ml water 1 cup scallions, finely chopped 1/8 tsp five spiced powder pinch...